Webroot software Inc. was started by Steve Thomas and his girlfriend Kristen Talley in early 1998 as a side project.
Steve had a desire to own his own car so he designed some software that we know today as Window Washer just so he could raise enough funds to purchase a car.
They developed their application called window washer as a utility that improves your computers performance and helps internet users maintain their privacy. This now award winning software has seen a steady growth for several years, however as with all companies the software has evolved to make the user experience more enjoyable and reliable at detecting and removing threats this is why their new range of computer software applications is called SecureAnywhere™!
Understanding The Concept Behind Webroot
Early in 2003 Steve started to notice a growing and silent menace that was causing problems for internet users and as a result, giving the consumer a negative experience on the internet.
Steve had also noticed that none of the major internet security companies were providing a solution to this menace.
Steve Thomas and the Webroot CEO decided to take action and took it to the streets, educating the media and internet users about the growing threat of spyware, adware.
Spy Sweeper was born from a problem no-one wanted to solve and was launched by Steve and Kristen in their company Webroot in March 2003. From this time on it quickly became the leading anti-spyware software. Spy Sweeper has earned many awards and placed Webroot on the map as a major internet security company.
As a result of this success with now two products Window Washer and Spy Sweeper Webroot grew from a small company with about 24 staff to now a talented staff base of more than 300 to distribute and market the four foundation products SpySweeper, Window Washer, Pop Up Blocker and Desktop Firewall.
Spy Sweeper was the last of the software applications to be released which helped Webroot to compete and hold its own against some very large companies such as Symantec, McAfee and Microsoft.
As of early 2005 Webroot excepted its first outside investments into its company from Technology Crossover Ventures, Accel Partners and Mayfield for a total of $108 million dollars.
As the company has grown it has also refined its software to introduce a new line of products which help users combat many online threats not only for your PC but now for mobile devices as well.
Webroot Launches SecureAnywhere™
Webroot® has also developed and is developing other software products to replace those mentioned above for consumer security and privacy such as:
SecureAnywhere™ Complete 2012 is a fast and effective way for you to protect your PC, Tablets and Mobile devices from online threats..
- One online portal to manage your PC and mobile phone security, file backups, and passwords.
- Extremely fast scans which can immediately detect security threats.
- Continual real-time threat updates keep you ahead of the bad guys.
- Revolutionary light-weight solution won’t slow down or conflict with other security on your PC
- Can scan your PC in about two minutes
- Will not conflict with other security programs, providing an added layer of protection to you
- Secures your PC and valuable information from Malware and online hackers – without disruptions or confusing pop-ups
- New, cloud-based online protection continually updates itself so your protection is always current
- Installs in minutes and uses minimal memory and processor capacity
Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ Antivirus 2012 is another fast application that protects you from viruses and spyware ensures that malicious programs can not access your computer and change security settings.
- SecureAnywhere™ delivers faster, more effective virus protection that’s continuously updating its self giving you total protection
- Will conflict with other security programs, providing an added layer of protection
- Identifies and protects against new threats as soon as they emerge – without ever having to download security updates
- Scans PCs with blazing fast speed – won’t disrupt your work
- Free program and definition updates for the life of your subscription, plus free phone, email, and online support
Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ Mobile Premier this application gives your Android the protection you need, it is the most advanced protection for your Android smartphone and tablets.
- Protects your identity and personal information
- Blocks mobile threats before they infect your phone
- Locates your Android smart phone if it’s lost or stolen
- Keeps your device secure without interruptions
- Secure web browsing with Antivirus
- Call and SMS Blocking
- Sim card lock
- Device wipe
Webroot® SecureWeb is an application for your iPod®, iPhone®, or iPad® this is a feature rich application allowing you to safely browse the web, shop or even do your banking online. It uses a filtering technology that identifies dangerous sites and then blocks access to them.
Any search you do on your iPod®, iPhone®, or iPad® whether it is through Google, Yahoo, Ask or Bing will be highlighted according to that sites safety level.
- Upgraded browsing and protection for your iPod®, iPhone®, or iPad®
- Secures your online transactions and financial information for safer shopping and banking
- Safe search identifies malicious websites or phishing sites before you visit them
- Tabbed iPad and iPhone browsing feature simplifies multitasking and navigation online
- Automatically syncs with Webroot’s advanced URL reputation database for real-time protection