In order to see how cleaning the computer registry helps fix computer errors, it is important to know what the Windows registry is and why it is a crucial part of your Windows operating system.
Understanding The Computer Registry
In all Windows operating systems prior to Windows 95, all hardware, software and system configuration was saved in INI files.
These files were not only spread all over the hard disk, but also took up a lot of storage space—which was quite expensive years back. To resolve this issue and to centralize the storage of all configuration information, Microsoft took a giant leap by introducing the Windows registry with the Windows 95 operating system.
The computer registry provided a central location in which all configuration information was stored in the form of a hierarchical database. This not only helped in getting rid of unwanted clutter of INI files but also helped in saving a lot of disk space.
Your Computer Registry Is Constantly Being Refined
Although the computer registry has since undergone a lot of improvements, there are certain problems that have yet to be resolved.
Because all applications, devices, and configuration changes on your system are performed through the registry, it has a great affinity to attract a large amount of unwanted information—obsolete entries not required after programs are updated, invalid entries created due to incorrect program installation, and malicious entries added by Malware programs, such as virus and spyware.
Accumulation of all this unwanted information unnecessarily increases the size of the registry and causes it to grow at an uncontrollable rate. A large registry easily gets damaged and fragmented and starts generating errors on your PC. This is the reason why, in order to avoid Windows errors, it is important for you to clean your registry.
Windows XP and Windows Vista operating systems comprise the Registry Editor tool that you can use to view the registry tree, make a few edits, and backup the registry. However, this tool is not equipped with options that you can use to perform a thorough scan and repair of the registry.
This is the reason why, experts recommend that you use a reliable and efficient Windows Vista or XP registry cleaner tool for the purpose.
There are many different types of registry cleaner tools available in the market and you can download the one that best meets your requirements.
Given below are some of the key benefits of advanced registry cleaner tools.
- Automate the process of scanning and repairing registry errors.
- Use advanced and complex algorithms to weed out unwanted and malicious information from deep within the registry.
- Get rid of malicious embedded—non-removable—registry keys added by spyware programs to ensure complete removal of these programs.
- Remove orphan keys left behind when programs are uninstalled to ensure complete removal.
- Easily fix computer errors, such as fix runtime errors, fix DLL errors, and fix driver errors.
- Defrag the registry to consolidate its files and remove unwanted empty registry keys to reduce the size of the registry, improve the registry access speed and as a result, enhance the performance of your PC.
- Easily create regular registry backups that you can restore in case your current registry fails.
- Perform other system maintenance tasks such as manage start up programs, get rid of unwanted Internet files, and clear your privacy information.
The computer registry is critical for your Windows operating system. Regular registry maintenance helps you avoid PC errors and also enables you to ensure optimal PC performance.